We are so close to the amazing time in Melbourne. A time when we embrace fashion and sport in the one breath – the Spring Racing Carnival is finally here!
There are so many guides out there to Spring Carnival dressing. The only guide you really need though is the one to avoid Spring Carnival fashion faux pas.
Spring Carnival Don’ts
- Wear anything too short. Keep your hemline at a respectable height – it’s a day at the races, not a night at the club.
- Wear uncomfortable heels that will ruin your fabulous day. There’s nothing LESS fashionable then carrying your shoes at the end of the day.
- If you have Members entry, you’ll need to cover your shoulders, so avoid strapless numbers. Also avoid showing your midriff.
- Over tan. I know it’s been a long winter, but don’t aim go from pale to a Mediterranean glow the night before – horrors are bound to occur!
- Go too heavy on your makeup, remember it is daylight. Any makeup looks that are too heavy have the potential to run and smudge in the heat of the day.
Spring Carnival Do’s
- Select an outfit that best reflects your style, body shape and something you will feel comfortable in. It’s a long day so you want something that fits you comfortably.
- Practice wearing your shoes that you can wear them all day long. The day is all about enjoying yourself – don’t let a pair of shoes let you down! Low heels are fine and a great tip is to find a block heel or wedges, especially for when you’re standing on the lawn.
- Choose carefully how much skin you expose, it is a day time event with a strong fashion tradition. If you want to show off your legs with a shorter hem, then opt for a sleeve. If you prefer a low cut top, drop the hemline down with a midi dress.
- Wear millinery! Anything from a hat, to a crown, a headbands, or the traditional fascinator.
Let your headpiece and outfit do the talking by keeping your beauty looking simple and fresh. Any makeup looks that are too heavy have the potential to run and smudge in the heat of the day.
- Apply sunscreen! A bright shade of red will NOT compliment your look!